Monday, August 29, 2011

Adolescent Guineas

An 8x8 oil that I finished this week of a group of adolescent guineas of all things!. A friend of mine lives out on a farm and raises guineas. She asked me to do a painting of them! She has two kinds. One is called a lavender color and the other kind...I'm not sure what the color is called. A white color with blue/grey undertones. Lots of folks that live in the country have these flocks of guinea. They stay around the  "home place"  and put up a real loud, twittering/clucking sound when anyone comes around or anything unusual occurs. They kind of become an alarm system! I took care of a patient once that had a flock of guinea. It was hilarious! They would get all startled and waddle around making that sound! My patient would always be waiting for me at the door....she knew I had come into the farm gate by the sound of her guineas. In this painting I tried to show how the guinea kind of huddle up close to each other. My friend says that they don't really fly...maybe flap their wings a little and take flight for a few feet..that's all. Mostly they just waddle around. So funny!

Psalm 116:1-2
"I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live."

No comments: